Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 21, 2011

Work Experience

I went to the Four Courts in Dublin to follow around a Barrister, his name was Darach MacNamara and he was really nice :) On my first day there he told me all about the different Civil Courts and the differences between them all. He showed me around the place and I learned loads already that day.

During the week he didn't have much exciting work for me to do so I went around with another Barrister called Brian, he is Darachs devil which means that Brian learns gets all of his work experience from Darach and learns more about being a barrister himself ( devils kind of follow around there masters)
Brian is mainly based in the Criminal Courts of Justice but does some work in the Civil Courts as well. Brian is one of the few extremely busy devils because he has had previous work experience and has a lot more degrees than most average devils.

Brian taught me loads about being a Barrister in the Criminal Courts and what its like. I went to all different types of cases in the Criminal Courts, some cases which are considered petty offences were things like theft, not driving with license, drink driving. But some others were a little more serious like assult cases and I got to sit in a murder trial for a bit which was really good and I really enjoyed it.



I spent some days in the CCJ and the Civil Courts and some days I spent all day in either one with someone. Anytime I was in the CCJ I would always be with Brian, but when I was in the Civil Courts I was either with Darach, Carroline or Alan. Carroline was a devil and was in her first year of deviling, she was really nice and she was really young so it was easy to talk to her. Alan was just finished deviling and he was a really good barrister as I got to see him in action in the Masters Court.



My overall work experience was really great and I loved being there. I learned loads of things and my idea of barristers has changed, I think its a lot more exciting than people think it is. I think as a future career I would definitely consider it

No comments:

Post a Comment